Le Bris in action for Sunderland in 2025

Régis Le Bris sends Sunderland transfer message before Ipswich opener

Adem Ozcan Last updated: Aug 20, 2026, 2:46 pm
0

Image: IMAGO / Every Second Media

Régis Le Bris has reassured Sunderland supporters that the club are still working to strengthen his squad, despite a frustrating transfer window ahead of their Premier League opener against Ipswich Town.

The Black Cats have made only one addition so far, while their proposed move for Toulouse left-back Dayann Methalie has stalled following an issue identified during his medical.

Le Bris insists Sunderland's limited activity does not reflect a lack of ambition, with the club prioritising quality over simply adding numbers.

Le Bris explains Sunderland's slow transfer window

Sunderland are expected to remain active until the 1 September deadline, with Le Bris admitting the market has proved more difficult than anticipated.

Rather than discussing Methalie specifically, the Sunderland head coach stressed the importance of retaining the core of his existing squad.

“Our main players want to stay in Sunderland, they want to achieve something big, and it’s really positive to keep this core,” Le Bris said.

“After that, quality over quantity. It’s not the same dynamic if we compare with last season.”

Le Bris believes Sunderland know precisely which positions and profiles they want to strengthen, but finding the right deals has required patience.

“We are clear in what we are looking for. It’s hard because the market is not an easy one as well, but at the same time, we stay patient, we stay calm and organised.”

Sunderland boss explains inflated transfer prices

Le Bris also believes spending elsewhere has contributed to an increasingly difficult market.

The Frenchman suggested inflated transfer fees can create a knock-on effect, with selling clubs adjusting their valuations based on deals completed elsewhere.

“If a club, for example, pays a player £50 million rather than the real value, around £20 million, then the next signings, they want to align with the same,” he explained.

Le Bris expects that effect to remain until the closing stages of the window, potentially making the final week particularly important for Sunderland.

He nevertheless backed the club's recruitment process.

“I trust the club, I trust the process as a whole because we are well connected,” he said.

“If we don’t have early signings this season, there’s a reason and it’s not because we don’t want to achieve the targets, it’s just because it’s not possible at the minute.”

Sunderland still want several additions

Despite the slow window, Le Bris made clear that Sunderland still need reinforcements.

A demanding season means additional depth will be required, but the head coach remains confident in the players already at his disposal.

“You can feel when you train with them every day whether the energy is big, low or if you have problems in the connection within the team,” he said.

“Here and now, it’s not the case. They just enjoy to be together, they just enjoy to have strong objectives ahead.”

Le Bris added that it remains “important to add a few players” across different positions, particularly because of the number of matches Sunderland will face this season.

Key Points

  • Sunderland are still working on several additions before the deadline.
  • Le Bris says the club are prioritising quality over quantity.
  • The Black Cats have found the transfer market slower and more expensive than expected.
  • Le Bris is pleased Sunderland have retained the core of their squad.
  • The head coach believes several new players are still required.
  • Sunderland open their Premier League campaign away to Ipswich Town on Saturday.

What's Next?

Sunderland will begin their Premier League campaign at Portman Road with their existing group while recruitment work continues behind the scenes.

Le Bris expects the final week of the transfer window to create opportunities as the market begins to move. Sunderland will therefore remain patient rather than overpaying, but the message from their head coach is clear: the squad is not yet considered complete.

0 Comments

First read message

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Football Place