Carlos Baleba in action for Brighton in 2026

Carlos Baleba closes in on Man Utd move as Brighton chief stays silent

Adem Ozcan Last updated: Aug 20, 2026, 3:00 pm
0

Image: IMAGO / Sportimage

Manchester United are reportedly closing in on a deal for Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba, with negotiations expected to accelerate as the clubs work towards an agreement.

Reports have placed the potential transfer at around £65m, while Fabrizio Romano claims United already have a full agreement with Baleba and his representatives.

Brighton CEO Paul Barber, however, has declined to discuss the negotiations directly.

Brighton chief refuses to discuss Baleba to Man Utd

Speaking to talkSPORT, Barber was asked about the growing speculation surrounding the 22-year-old's future.

“It’s not something that I can talk about right now,” Barber said.

The Brighton chief acknowledged that the club regularly receive approaches for their leading players and will consider offers that make financial sense.

“At this time of year, we’re always going to be subject to bids for our players,” he explained. “We are always going to be interested in ones that are sensible and that are going to make sense for us financially and economically.”

Brighton must also balance potential sales against maintaining a squad capable of competing across several competitions.

Barber described Baleba as a “hugely talented young midfielder” who has attracted attention from some of the world's biggest clubs over the past two years, before adding: “Let’s see where we go.”

Romano says Baleba agreement is getting closer

While Barber remained cautious, Romano presented a significantly more advanced picture of the negotiations.

The transfer insider says Manchester United are expected to return to the negotiating table on Thursday in an attempt to close the deal.

“The deal is absolutely well underway for Baleba to Man Utd,” Romano said.

“There is an expectation they will reach an agreement quite soon. The agreement with the player is fully done and completed with his agents.”

Baleba's desire to make the move could also prove important. Romano reports that the midfielder has been pushing to join United after a transfer proved impossible last summer.

“The dream of the player is very clear – Baleba has been pushing and pushing to go to Man Utd.”

United return after failed 2025 pursuit

Manchester United's interest is not new.

According to Romano, Brighton were unwilling to open the door to a transfer in 2025, when United were already keen on Baleba. The situation has now changed sufficiently for negotiations to advance.

Reports suggest Brighton's valuation has also fallen significantly from the figures of more than £100m previously associated with the midfielder, with a deal now potentially being discussed at around £65m.

That figure has not been confirmed by Barber, and Brighton have not publicly indicated that an agreement has been reached.

The next round of club-to-club negotiations will therefore be decisive.

Key Points

  • Manchester United are reportedly closing in on Carlos Baleba.
  • A potential transfer has been valued at around £65m.
  • Brighton CEO Paul Barber has refused to discuss the negotiations directly.
  • Fabrizio Romano says United are expected to hold further talks on Thursday.
  • United reportedly have a full agreement with Baleba and his agents.
  • Baleba is said to be pushing for the move to Old Trafford.

What's Next?

Manchester United are expected to resume negotiations with Brighton as they attempt to finalise an agreement for Baleba.

The player's side appears to be settled, meaning the remaining issue is finding terms acceptable to Brighton. Barber's comments underline that the club will only sanction deals that make financial and sporting sense, but the latest reporting suggests United's long-standing pursuit has now entered its decisive stage.

0 Comments

First read message

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Football Place