Matthias Jaissle has revealed how the biggest setback of his life helped put him on the path to becoming Newcastle United head coach, while also opening up on his conversation with predecessor Eddie Howe and his ambitions at St James’ Park.
Jaissle was only 25 when a serious knee injury forced him to end his playing career. Having previously achieved his dream of reaching the Bundesliga with Hoffenheim, the German suddenly found himself facing an uncertain future.
Speaking to the BBC, Jaissle described that period as the biggest setback of his life but believes it ultimately changed the way he approaches challenges.
Jaissle reveals pain that shaped his career
Jaissle admitted he was in a “real low” when injury forced him to stop playing.
“I got to know the heavy side of life,” he said.
However, rather than allowing that disappointment to define him, Jaissle eventually used it to change his outlook.
He believes difficult moments can contain opportunities, with his own journey eventually taking him into coaching and through spells with Red Bull Salzburg and Al-Ahli before arriving at Newcastle.
“Now I'm here as manager of Newcastle United,” Jaissle said. “I couldn't dream about that 15 years ago. That's life.”
That mentality is particularly relevant given the situation he inherited on Tyneside.
‘We will have no excuses’
Jaissle arrived only weeks before the new Premier League season following Howe's departure and a significant overhaul of Newcastle's squad.
Bruno Guimaraes, Sandro Tonali and Anthony Gordon have all left, while the club's recruitment has focused heavily on younger players.
Newcastle have brought in Lukas Hornicek, Ewen Jaouen, Amar Dedic, Sean Steur, Aladji Bamba and Bazoumana Toure, with every one of those additions aged 24 or younger.
Jaissle accepts those players will need time but refuses to use Newcastle's difficult summer as an excuse.
“I like challenges,” he explained. “Of course you can complain about the timing, the big transition, all the sales the club did, but we will not.
“We will have no excuses.”
The 38-year-old also expects further movement before the September 1 deadline, saying he is “confident there will be changes” to his squad.
Jaissle reveals Eddie Howe conversation
One of Jaissle's first moves after taking the job was to contact Howe.
The former Newcastle boss delivered the club's first major trophy in decades by winning the 2025 EFL Cup and also guided them into the Champions League on multiple occasions.
Jaissle refused to reveal the private details of their conversation but made his admiration for Howe clear.
“What I can say is he's not only a great manager,” he said. “He's also a great human being.”
Jaissle also stressed the importance of maintaining the togetherness that became such a significant part of Newcastle's identity during Howe's reign.
Newcastle want to bring back the Entertainers spirit
Despite acknowledging Newcastle are beginning a new journey, Jaissle has no intention of lowering expectations.
“We are really ambitious and have high goals, high expectations, high demands,” he said.
His vision is based around aggressive, front-foot football – an approach he believes suits both the club and its supporters.
Jaissle has even studied the influence of Kevin Keegan and Newcastle's famous Entertainers side.
“The playing style back then reminds me very much of how we want to play,” he explained. “The Entertainers is a special name for it, so let's hope we can go in the same direction.”
That connection will carry particular emotion when Newcastle face Liverpool on Sunday, with St James' Park set to pay tribute to Keegan following his death in July at the age of 75.
Key Points
- Jaissle says his career-ending knee injury at 25 was the biggest setback of his life.
- He contacted Eddie Howe after becoming Newcastle head coach and praised both his work and character.
- Newcastle have already made six young signings, with Jaissle expecting further changes.
- He insists Newcastle will have “no excuses” despite a difficult summer of transition.
- Jaissle wants an aggressive style inspired partly by Kevin Keegan's Entertainers.
What's Next?
Jaissle's rebuilding project now moves from preparation to the pressure of competitive football.
Newcastle still have work to do in the transfer market, but their new head coach is determined to embrace the challenge rather than complain about the circumstances he inherited.
Sunday's meeting with Liverpool will provide an emotional first major test at St James' Park – and an early opportunity for Jaissle's new-look Newcastle to show exactly what direction they are heading in.
Can Matthias Jaissle rebuild Newcastle and bring the Entertainers spirit back to St James’ Park? Have your say.
0 Comments
First read message
Leave a comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *