Julian Alvarez in action for Atletico Madrid in 2025 Champions League match

Arsenal given Julián Alvarez hope as Arteta project changes striker’s transfer stance

Adem Ozcan Last updated: Aug 23, 2026, 2:03 pm
0

Image: IMAGO / ZUMA Press Wire

Arsenal remain firmly in the race for Julián Alvarez, with the Atlético Madrid striker reportedly warming to Mikel Arteta's project despite still preferring a move to Barcelona.

The 26-year-old wants to leave Atlético before the summer transfer window closes, but his preferred destination continues to create a major problem.

Barcelona want Alvarez, but Atlético have made it clear they have no intention of strengthening a direct La Liga rival.

That has kept Arsenal in contention, with Arteta and sporting director Andrea Berta maintaining regular contact with the Argentina international.

The Gunners have reportedly proposed a deal involving €80million plus Viktor Gyökeres, while Alvarez could earn around €25m gross per year at the Emirates.

Arsenal remain in the race for Alvarez

Alvarez's relationship with Atlético appears to have deteriorated considerably.

According to AS, sources close to the striker claim he informed the Spanish club back in March that he wanted to leave.

Atlético CEO Miguel Ángel Gil Marín reportedly responded by telling Alvarez to bring an offer worth around €150m.

The situation has since become increasingly tense, with the striker unhappy about how the club have handled his desire to depart.

AS reports that Gil Marín is now refusing to meet Alvarez or his representative.

Despite the disagreement, the forward's position has not changed. He still wants a transfer before the window closes.

Barcelona remain his preferred option, but Arsenal are waiting to take advantage if that move proves impossible.

Arteta project appeals to Alvarez

Alvarez has previously rejected the possibility of joining Arsenal, but that position no longer appears quite as definitive.

AS reports that his “no” to Arsenal remains in place but that he has not completely closed the door.

One reason for that change is the sporting project being presented by Arteta and Berta.

Both have been in regular contact with Alvarez during Arsenal's pursuit, and the project at the Emirates is said to “seduce” the Argentine.

For Arsenal, that represents significant progress.

The Gunners may not be his first choice, but they could become a realistic alternative if Atlético continue refusing to negotiate with Barcelona.

The report describes Arsenal as a possible “emergency solution” for the striker, although his view of returning to England is now said to be changing.

Family concerns complicate Premier League return

The biggest obstacle may have little to do with football.

Alvarez reportedly has concerns about UK bureaucracy and visa restrictions affecting his family's ability to visit him.

That issue is particularly important because of his previous experience while playing for Manchester City.

The striker is settled in Spain with his family and does not want to encounter the same difficulties again if he returns to the Premier League.

It helps explain why Barcelona remains his preferred destination despite Arsenal's sustained efforts to convince him.

However, Alvarez is now viewing the possibility of playing in England differently.

That could give Arsenal an opening during the final days of the window, particularly if Barcelona are unable to produce an offer Atlético are prepared to accept.

Key Points

  • Arsenal remain interested in signing Julián Alvarez before the transfer deadline.
  • Barcelona are still Alvarez's preferred destination, but Atlético do not want to sell to a La Liga rival.
  • Mikel Arteta and Andrea Berta have remained in regular contact with the striker, whose stance on Arsenal appears to be softening.
  • Family and visa concerns are a major factor in Alvarez's hesitation over returning to England.

What's Next?

Barcelona may still make another attempt to sign Alvarez before the transfer window closes, but Atlético's refusal to strengthen a domestic rival leaves that route extremely complicated.

Arsenal will remain ready to move if the Barcelona option disappears. Arteta and Berta have already done considerable work to convince Alvarez, and the sporting project at the Emirates appears to have made an impression.

The decisive question is now whether Alvarez can overcome his reservations about returning to England and give Arsenal the approval they need to push for an agreement with Atlético.

Should Arsenal keep pushing for Julián Alvarez despite his preference for Barcelona, or move on to a player fully committed to joining Arteta’s project?

0 Comments

First read message

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Football Place