Axel Disasi is set to undergo a medical with Crystal Palace on Friday after an agreement was reached with Chelsea over a season-long loan move.
The defender is now closing in on a switch to Selhurst Park as Palace strengthen Pierre Sage's squad ahead of the new Premier League campaign.
Chelsea have been looking to move Disasi on this summer, while Palace needed another experienced centre-back following Maxence Lacroix's £52m move to Stamford Bridge.
Disasi set for Palace medical
Football Place understands Disasi will undergo his medical on Friday before completing his season-long loan from Chelsea.
The 28-year-old spent the second half of last season on loan at West Ham, where he impressed despite the Hammers eventually suffering relegation.
His performances generated interest from several clubs this summer.
West Ham explored the possibility of bringing Disasi back on a permanent deal, but Palace are now set to beat their London rivals to his signature.
The move also gives Disasi another opportunity to play regular Premier League football after finding himself outside Chelsea's plans.
Sage wanted Premier League experience
Palace manager Pierre Sage had already made it clear that signing a centre-back was a priority before the transfer window closes.
Asked on Thursday whether another defender was needed, Sage confirmed Palace were looking for someone with significant experience.
“We need a player in this department, a player with a lot of games, if possible, in the Premier League,” Sage said.
“We need players, but we need a leader and that's why we need to wait a little bit to find a good one.”
Disasi fits that profile after spells with Chelsea and West Ham in England.
When Sage was specifically asked about the French defender, he refused to confirm negotiations but acknowledged the speculation.
“He's a player from Chelsea,” Sage said. “It is difficult for me to speak about a player of another club, but I hear the same noise as you.”
A day later, Disasi is now expected to undergo his Palace medical.
Palace add cover after Lacroix exit
The deal will provide Palace with much-needed depth in central defence following Lacroix's departure to Chelsea earlier this summer.
Disasi arrives with Premier League experience and the ability to provide immediate competition rather than needing significant time to adapt to English football.
For Chelsea, the agreement also moves another player outside Xabi Alonso's plans away from Stamford Bridge.
Key Points
- Axel Disasi is set for a Crystal Palace medical on Friday.
- Palace and Chelsea have agreed a season-long loan.
- West Ham also explored a permanent move for the defender.
- Palace needed a centre-back after Maxence Lacroix joined Chelsea for £52m.
- Pierre Sage wanted an experienced Premier League defender.
- Disasi spent the second half of last season on loan at West Ham.
What's Next?
Disasi must now complete his medical before the loan can be formally finalised. Barring any late problems, the Frenchman is set to become Sage's latest addition at Selhurst Park.
Is Axel Disasi the experienced defensive leader Crystal Palace needed after selling Maxence Lacroix?
0 Comments
First read message
Leave a comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *